Sunday, September 9, 2007

A River of Rain



My back is improving very, very slowly… but the inconvenience is not stopping me from indulging in my favourite pastime, it’s very easy… I just let the girls do all the work… hehehehehe…

It’s still raining… we are having some of the nastiest downpours I’ve ever seen. Perhaps I told you before of my apartment’s great position, only a few minutes walk from the bars, clubs and restaurants and a five minute walk to a very large modern shopping mall, everything I need is within 5 minutes walk from home. The location is so good that my two friends, André and Felipe now occupy 2 more of the 6 townhouses in the block.

The only problem we have here is that we are not on a real street (no concrete or tar). It’s a very wide street, though a better description would be - a broad dirt road. - Without exaggeration when it storms the street becomes a river… that is, the full width of the road becomes flooded. It’s a strange sight indeed for when the street is underwater it looks like a river with floating houses on either side. The water is fast flowing, VERY FAST, with small white-tipped waves, like rapids. I could not run faster than it flows… Our street obviously has all the run off from the surrounding area. It’s an odd feeling watching large objects floating by your home, the funniest sight was a dog calmly sailing past, right before my very eyes… Fortunately it’s not deep, never more than 12inches and my apartment has never been in danger of flooding, not yet anyway… hehehehehe.

No comments: